Department was established in 1995 in old building in Sir Takhtsinhji Hospital campus with annual intake capacity of 50 students. In March 2000 department was shifted to newly constructed spacious college building located at Dr. Vaidhya Marg Bhavnagar. Department is located on fourth floor and has infrastructure adequate to cater the need of 150 admissions per year. In the academic year 2006-07 admission capacity was raised to 100 with the permission of medical council of india. Department also participate in teaching to students of medical laboratory teaching training course run by Directorate of Medical Education and Research, Govt. of Gujarat for inservice and outside candidates. Govt.of Gujarat has decided to apply to Central Government to raise undergraduate admission capacity to 150 from academic year 2007-08.
Department also participate in teaching to students of B.Sc. Nursing & Post Graduate courses & research.
|ACADEMINC YEAR||HAED OF THE DEPARTMENT|
|2000-02||Dr. K.J. MATHAI|
|2002-05||Dr. R. ILANTHIRAIYAN (incharge)|
|2005-05||Dr. T.M. CHARY|
|Mar 06 onwards||Dr. H.O. SHARMA|
The college was constructed for 150 undergraduate admissions similarily the department has enough space to accommodate 150 students.
- Dept has lecture hall (shared with physiology )and two demonstration rooms of required capacity and eqipped with audiovisual aids.
- Offices for teaching and paramedical staff.
- Department library, seminar room. Store rooms.
- College has broadband connection with membership to Govt. of Gujarat virtual library project through which hundreds of books and journals are accessible online.
- Department has dedicated fulltime faculties.
- Genetic Lab
- Multipurpose research laboratory for ICMR Project.